Friday, January 13, 2017

#1: Cover 3

The Bar


Cover 3. 1717 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78703

Visited 1/13/17 at 9pm.

UPDATE: Cover 3 has closed.

The Drink



The Dougie. A house frozen margarita with a Coronita. $9.50.

When I asked my server for the best drink they had, he said that this was the owner's favorite. If you can't trust the owner, who can you trust? It was your basic margarita plus beer: not too sweet, not too sour, but decently strong. My main challenge with these is always brain freeze. I'm a man who likes to drink at his own pace, and even if I tend towards the slow-drinker persuasion these days, I get annoyed if it takes me forever to make it through my drink before it's turned into a watery mess.

The Crew

Travis, Aaron, Ashley (not pictured), Rome (not pictured).




Notes


We started off our journey on Friday the 13th at 9pm. An auspicious omen?

From the outside, the bar looks almost unchanged from its previous incarnation as a Third Base franchise. It sits at the very western end of Sixth Street inside a mixed-use complex, as the street itself dissolves into the asphalt and concrete vortex of the Mopac interchange.

Inside, the decor still reminds me of a Buffalo Wild Wings, with a few added flourishes. Like the chandeliers, which are interesting circles of candles. Or the bathrooms, which now offer mildly cool circular switches for faucets. Set a course for hygiene!

So expect a sports bar with a decent wine list, a few local craft beers, and some cocktails. We watched the Rockets give up to the Grizzlies in the fourth and headed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment