Monday, January 23, 2017

#13: The Dogwood

The Bar


The Dogwood. 715 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 1/23/17 @ 9pm.

The Drink



Irish mule. Jameson, agave nectar, lime, ginger beer. $10.

Even the Copper Development Association, my new favorite industry lobbying group, admits that the only reason Moscow Mules are served in copper mugs is as a marketing gimmick, and not due to some special property of the metal. I guess they didn't need Troy McClure. I couldn't really taste the whiskey in this Irish twist on the venerable classic, but it was tasty.

The Crew


Aaron, Travis, Rome.


Notes


I like that the owner of this place (Chad Womack, a twin of a former Bachelor contestant who's been around for a while opening a lot of Sixth's most well-known bars) is doing something to combat West Sixth's reputation, because this was a nice place to visit and nothing at all like that stereotype. I mean, I could see the both the outdoor and indoor areas getting pretty crowded on a Friday night, but that's the crowd and not the bar. A bar is what you make of it (I hope I retain that attitude for the rest of this journey).

The Dogwood has been around for about 6 years, replacing some manner of Irish pub that I never went to. The outdoor bar was relaxed enough on a Monday to allow us to have some good conversation with the bartender about the area over our drinks while we watched the Spurs beat up on the Nets.

No comments:

Post a Comment