Monday, January 30, 2017

#17: Pop

The Bar


Pop. 620 W 6th St #1, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 1/30/17 @ 8pm.

The Drink



Jameson. $5

Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best. After I gave my standard spiel about wanting "the drink that shows off this place the best", the bartender and I negotiated the intricacies of their champagne list before he decided to stick to the basics. Even if Jameson is Baby's First Whiskey, I still love it.

The Crew


Karen (with giant alien hand shadow), Aaron, Sonali.


Notes


Their website brags that they are "Austin's only high-end champagne lounge", which sounds like the kind of place that I would normally avoid like broken glass wrapped in nuclear waste topped with poison. I get that there are guys out there who willing to pay $1400 for bottle service with a single bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, in order to attract the kind of woman who's impressed by a guy willing to pay $1400 for bottle service with a single bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, but we should quarantine both of those types of people in a soulless suckhole of fun like Las Vegas so that the rest of us can pay normal prices for alcohol.

However, once again our strategy of barhopping on a Monday meant that I actually had fun here. In addition to whatever nightmarish parody of entertainment and human connection happens inside, there's a small bar outside by the street that offers up cocktails and TVs, in case you need to avert your eyes from people-watching. But, in a frustrating defiance of my stubborn determination to hate everything about this place, it turned out to be completely fine. We barely had to watch any of the start of OSU at OU, instead having a blast talking to the bartender and taking Tinder profile pics in front of their outdoor decor. I'm not sure if on a Friday night Pop would be as bad as my memories of Vegas clubs like XS lead me to believe, and I probably won't ever find out. Let me have my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment