Saturday, February 4, 2017

#25: RIO Night Club

The Bar


RIO Night Club. 601 Rio Grande St, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 2/4/17 @ 8:30pm.

The Drink



Tequila surprise. Dulce Vida tequila, grapefruit, lime. $11.

The pun on "tequila sunrise" for this drink is a reference to the fact that I almost didn't get one at all (see below). I took a vacation to Cancun in 2007 where, as is the law for gringo tourists, I drank roughly my own body weight in tequila sunrises, and then upon returning home I basically never touched them again. I liked this, but I had to drink it in a hurry so I didn't get to really savor it.

The Crew


Aaron.


Notes


Okay, so picture me, your humble drinking correspondent, innocently searching for a refreshing drink to soothe my parched throat, after a long, exhausting night of searching for bars to review for you, my loyal audience. I see RIO Night Club, to all intents and purposes open during prime bro hours on a Saturday night. I walk up the stairs and head straight to the bar, both to order my drink and to meditate on its no-doubt-wondrous history, only to discover that RIO Night Club is closed for a private event, with nary a warning sign in sight. In fact, mere seconds after I order and am informed this this closure, an event coordinator, wisely observing that no one with a sweater like mine belongs in an establishment like RIO Night Club, immediately tries to put the kibosh on my order. The future looked grim indeed for this drinking attempt.

Happily, the bartender stood up for a patron in need, and made me a drink using some of the closest bottles at hand, with the stipulation that I drink it as quickly as possible and then depart. Fair enough. I retired to a table closer to the gigantic fishtank, and from there watched a bunch of really hot models drift about in a manner not unlike a school of fish. Being about halfway down the evolutionary ladder to a jellyfish myself at that point, I gently oozed my way out the door and allowed the currents of the night to ease me onwards to the next bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment