Saturday, February 4, 2017

#26: The Ranch

The Bar


The Ranch. 710 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 2/4/17 @ 10pm.

The Drink



Slow & Low whiskey. $7

At last, whiskey that isn't Jameson! Slow & Low seems to be an attempt at making an Old-Fashioned in a bottle: it's rye whiskey mixed with honey, orange, and Angostura bitters, and it tastes about how you'd expect a pre-packaged Old-Fashioned to taste. At least, I think that's what it tasted like. I won't lie, after five previous bars my previously impeccable quality standards might have undergone some temporary suspension.

The Crew


Aaron.


Notes


If the words "bottle service" don't send a chill up your spine by now, you need to visit the kinds of places that have bottle service. 

Like the "clever" writer I am, I had that prefabricated zinger already typed out and ready to use on my review of this place before even going here, but as usual the joke was on me - the bar was fine. At least, I can't remember anything I didn't like about it, which is about as much as you can expect for stop #6 of the night. How do you give two thumbs up with just one hand? Ask me again after a few beers!

Ranchia omnia est divisa in partes tres. Out of the three ballroom-sized rooms, I was upstairs, in the one with the great balcony view of the downtown skyline. There's nothing quite like a huge window with a bunch of shiny objects in the distance to soothe the drunken mind, and allow it to settle on a gentle equilibrium of calm intoxication, so after I finished my drink, and a few companion waters as well, I chatted with my fellow patrons for a while about how neat the city looks at night in the fog and light rain. It wasn't quite the same experience as a rooftop bar, but it's not like I was in a particularly demanding mood at the time; I felt about how this album cover looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment