Saturday, February 11, 2017

#34: Driskill Bar

The Bar


Driskill Bar. 604 Brazos St, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 2/11/17 @ 7:30pm.

The Drink



Manhattan. Maker's Mark, Angostura bitters, cherry. $12.

Since we were in the 130th anniversary of this place, they had specialty drinks of Texas Revival and Driskill Julep, but for my official drink I was unhesitatingly recommended a Manhattan. Unlike Café Josie's revisionist take on the classic, this was done by the book. Maker's Mark is a great choice, and they executed it well. We did stay for more rounds, however, so I can wholeheartedly recommend the Texas Revival as well. This is the kind of cocktail bar that seems untouched by time.

The Crew


Rome, James, Cat, Elijah, Travis, Geoff, Aaron, Vince (not pictured).


Notes


The Driskill was by far my most anticipated stop of this whole trip, since I had never been to it before embarking on this project. Exactly why, I'm not sure, although I don't think it's unusual for people who have lived in their cities for years simply being too busy with life to seek out its more touristy sides - for many years, when friends would ask me what hotels in Austin were the best, I simply had no idea. So even a place with as fascinating a history as Austin's oldest hotel might manage to escape my attentions while I was busy chasing down Lone Star specials like the juvenile product of the working class I am, until a special occasion made me break out of my groove and seek out more high-end drinking opportunities.

That phrase "high-end" is a bit funny, since even though The Driskill is the very first place on Dirty Sixth to drink at, it has absolutely nothing in common with any of the establishments around it. I really loved its atmosphere, with its air of sumptuous luxury that simply wouldn't be built today. The interior is exactly what you'd expect a 19th century businessman's idea of high-class to be: gold everywhere, tasteful wood paneling, rich Corinthian leather.... Okay, maybe not that last one. but every detail means something: even the lush carpeting nods to the very interesting connection between the Driskill, the State Capitol, and the XIT ranch up in the Panhandle. We tried to go up to the balcony that overlooks Sixth Street to gaze at the chaos below, but unfortunately it was blocked by renovation work that was ongoing.

Many bars struggle with creating an intimate atmosphere that enhances your experience without overpowering it. The Driskill is just a cool place to drink and soak in the history, or even to people-watch - I don't know that I would ever be a regular here, but I would definitely return.

No comments:

Post a Comment