Saturday, February 25, 2017

Rome Zone 5: Driskill, Eureka!, Buffalo Billiards, B. D. Riley’s, Friends, Barcelona

February 11, 2017 - First night on Dirty Sixth

Pregame
Shiner Coffee Ale

My plan was to go to the Driskill and head out, but Aaron said “just 3 and out;” three bars, one drink each. We drank a couple of beers at Aaron’s waiting for everyone to trickle in. Geoff, Elijah, and Pope came into town.

Six of us piled into an Uber, but really a Fare because this is Austin. Fare and Fasten seamlessly replaced Uber and Lyft, though others would argue that Uber leaving was a travisty. Same situation where drivers work both Apps.

Driskill
Geoff REALLY wanted to go here. It was classy, but I didn’t feel out of place like I did on West Sixth. I guess it’s because they’re on the edge of Dirty Sixth, they get a lot of walk-ins from sloppy drunk 21 year olds.
 Me, Aaron, Geoff, Pope, Elijah, Cat, and Travis. Vince showed up for round two.
When Aaron said “Drink that best represents…” we ended up with a Manhattan (my favorite Manhattan thus far). There have been a lot of bourbon/whiskey drinks. Luckily, that’s my favorite liquor. Elijah got a second round of drinks there. I had a mint julep.  
I was sober and took many photos.

Time to head out.

Eureka! (or in my notes as Not Logan’s)
A lot of nostalgia walking along dirty sixth. Logan’s was often the start of the night, with a liter of Bud Light for $4. It was a frat bar. I don't mean that as a perjorative, but that's the best I can describe it. Every night, the bar went silent when they played the same clip from Wedding Crashers or Full Metal Jacket. And it was probably the same people from when I turned 21, since everyone in the bar was over 30, with a similar vibe.

"How's that ginger in your eye?" said Geoff to the bartender.
There was a 45 minute line for a table, which surprised me since most places on Sixth are either at capacity or below capacity. We had a really good whiskey/ginger drink. 8 or 9 whiskey craft cocktails took a lot of bartender resources. If she knew there were that many of us, the bartender would have said that a whiskey and coke or Bud Light was the "drink that best represents…” 

Pizza Break: Paparazzi Pizza. 
Aaron: “This isn’t great pizza, but it’s pizza, so it’s great.” 

No beer, just street pizza. I thought it was Roppolo’s. The timeline of pizza in relation to bars is disputed. 

Buffalo Billiards 
I rarely went here as a college kid, but I always enjoyed it. Lots of games, food, pitchers. But in those days of $1 domestics, few wanted to spend time/money on things that weren’t beer. 

Played one game of foosball, ate too much of Vince’s queso, and drank what I assume was a piňa colada. Pretty good. But sweet Jesus, I wanted a beer. I tried to convince everyone to stay for a beer, but we soldiered on.

B. D. Riley’s
Whiskey shot = Pain
Friends
We had rumplemintz shots. We were in and out in 10 minutes, and I have no memory.  

I think that's everyone else in the mirror there.


Barcelona
Supposition  Whiskey cocktail : West Sixth :: Rumplemitnz : Dirty Sixth

Barecelona is a dark dirty dance bar. Again, I don't mean that as an insult. It seems on the higher end for that area of Sixth, and I'm pretty sure they offered us bottle service one time.
 Here’s a collage of my blurry attempts at photographs.
Second rumplemintz shot. It was sweet, not bad. I started drinking water. It was long before midnight, but I was done. Travis and Cat wanted to dance. I wasn’t into it, but I tried to do a middle school dance hip move.

Post game analysis
We left at 11:28 according to the time stamp on the photo.  
Spent the night on our college stomping grounds. It was a blast. Most of the fun is just hanging out with good, old friends.
archerisms tumblr
Nonetheless, we're older and paid double or triple the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment