Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Rome Zone 4: Little Woodrows, Sophia’s, Austin Ale House, Gloria’s




February 8th.


Great way to combine my birthday with structured drinking.

Little Woodrow's
It started out me, Aaron, Travis, and Chris (Geoff’s dad). We had a slow start, as we trickled on. Little Woodrow’s seemed game, but a little confused, by Aaron’s request (best drink that represents…). Gotta respect a place that knows they’re a beer joint instead of trying to get you to buy a super sweet blue something. 
Shiner Cold Brew Coffee Ale
We were going to get food there, but they never gave us a food menu (probably because we literally said one-and-done). Chris talked us into getting burgers at Austin Ale House, which sounded better than anything I imagined Little Woodrow's had.

We were on our way to Austin Ale House.

Sophia’s
But we stumbled on a random bar along the way, half underground like a speakeasy.  Pretty good Old Fashioned.  It was packed, but we got to sit in the lounge immediately. Chris became very talkative, and we talked a bit of taxes.  

Probably the classiest place I drank in a while, if not ever. And if that place doesn’t have a bathroom attendant, Sherlock’s sure as shit doesn’t need one.

That empty spot is where I was sitting.
Austin Ale House
The dinner portion of the evening. Michael and Ashley showed up. Aaron tried to ask some questions (like why are there buffaloes everywhere), and the waitress kind of shrugged and walked away. The bar was pretty lackluster, but with a big enough group, you create your own atmosphere. 

I got a Texas Mule, my favorite drink of the evening. Probably my favorite drink so far on this trek. A jalapeno moscow mule. Strong on the Jalapeno, strong on the ginger, and I’m fairly sure strong on the vodka. Low on cucumber, which is my least favorite ingredient. Traditional copper mug because of some BS about copper.  

I got a plain cheeseburger and fries, and it was everything I needed at that point in my life.
This was when I finally stopped consuming long enough to take a photo. 
 
Gloria’s
Nice, but low key, and they were cool with us showing up 30 minutes before close just to get drinks.
The service was great, and the waitress tried to roll with the punches.  I was surprised she brought us chips and salsa since we were just getting drinks. Even though I was full, I dug into those red and green salsas. Salty, savory, and warm.

I think this was the third time Geoff called/texted to do a welfare check on his dad, at which point Chris grabbed Aaron's phone and texted Geoff himself. 

I got a strawberry margarita, for which my compadres ridiculed me.  The waitress asked if I wanted salt or sugar on the rim. I said yes, thinking she said salt AND sugar, and she too made fun of me. I thought it was a real thing because of Parks and Rec

Would've been better with a salt and sugar rim.
End of the Night
We tried to make it to another bar; 10:30 seemed pretty early for everything to be closed. We looked rather pathetic trying to get into 3 closed bars. We did get one more beer at Barfly's, since that is still my favorite bar, and it was a birthday request. 

No comments:

Post a Comment