Wednesday, March 29, 2017

#63: Chupacabra

The Bar


Chupacabra. 400 E 6th St, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 3/29/17 @ 6:30pm.

The Drink



House margarita. Milagro silver tequila, Solerno blood orange, agave, lime. $5.

Austin is a big Tex-Mex city, so naturally you find a lot of margaritas around here. The margarita's origins are shrouded in mystery, as is so common, but it's become ubiquitous. With so many bars offering nearly identical takes on the classic, I enjoy finding places with slightly different versions, and in an environment as margarita-saturated as this one, adding Solerno counts as different enough from the norm for me. Solerno comes from Sicily, and it lent a really great citrus flavor to the margarita. I've been loving all these Italian liqueurs that bars have been sneaking into my drinks, and this is one of the best I found so far; next time I'm in a requesting mood I should specifically ask for a drink that features it a bit more. Since we were still in happy hour, this was a great bargain for the margarita. Our bartender was really friendly too, which didn't hurt either.

The Crew


Davis, Aaron.


Notes


As you can see by the guac girl pinup behind us, Chupacabra has a playful attitude. It's the sister bar of Jackalope, a few doors down the street, and so they both have novelty drinks like the "Cockfight", a cocktail served in a comically oversized martini glass and other offbeat items like that. Also like Jackalope it serves food in addition to beverages, though Chupacabra has more of a Tex-Mex flair - fish tacos and the like (yes yes, I know those are more of a Cal-Mex thing). We didn't get to hang out for very long, since we were just killing time with a drink before seeing Blade Runner: The Final Cut at the Alamo very shortly (I like that cut although I've become more anti-Deckard-replicant than ever - maybe more on that later), so we watched a bit of OKC @ ORL before leaving for our movie. I would definitely return.

No comments:

Post a Comment