Sunday, December 30, 2018

#138: Suerte

The Bar


Suerte. 1800 E 6th St, Austin, TX 78702

Visited 12/30/18 @ 9pm.

The Drink



Don Dario. Reposado tequila, tamarindo, sarsaparilla, lime. $11.

The name of this drink is a homage to a former occupant of this address. I never went to Don Dario, but it still lives on at its new location down at I-35 and Slaughter. Its namesake drink is kind of like a boozy root beer: a bit sweet, thanks to the sarsaparilla (which my brain insists on rendering as "sasparilla", for some reason), and tart, thanks to everything else. "Balance" is one of those subjective critic's terms that are as slippery to handle as your cutlery after you've had a few too many cocktails, but it fits here - both main flavors were distinct yet not overpowering, and when the bartender asked if I wanted another one when I finished it, I agreed immediately. I regret not coming here for happy hour (or "Lucky Hour" as they call it, a play on the restaurant's name, which means "lucky"), since the drink would have been almost half-off, but it's tough to get down to Sixth Street before 5:30pm, when it ends. No matter, craft cocktails don't usually come cheap.

The Crew


Aaron.


Notes


By day, Suerte is a highly-acclaimed Mexican restaurant dedicated to raising the consciousness and expectations of Austinites about how good proper corn tortillas can be when crafted with care and artistry. By night, it still does that, but it's a bit more acceptable to also drink a lot of high-end cocktails along with your elevated repast. I remember the buzz about this place immediately upon its opening earlier in the year (the food, the vision, the decor), and the hype has not relented one bit - it was popping when I was there, and indeed the other time that I went previously, which I alas was not able to incorporate into the Sixth Street Complete, it was really difficult to get a table. Some of the fellow clientele there seemed like they were here just to Be Seen here, which I didn't like, but I refuse to get into a debate on if there's a wrong way to visit a restaurant, so I'll demur. You should absolutely check this place out though - they genuinely do have some phenomenal corn tortillas, and though they're a bit pricey (you could probably do an interesting comparative socioeconomic study of Suerte vs Cisco's, the historic Mexican restaurant I had visited just prior), they occupy a unique niche in the Austin restaurant landscape and are worth visiting for that alone. 

Plus, even the sports hecklers at Suerte are a classier breed - on my way out I ran into a guy who took one look at my Bills shirt and made a good-natured reference to The Comeback, a traumatic event in his Houston childhood, so we stood in their parking lot and talked about the Bills, the Oilers, Austin, our lives, and everything, for well after we each should have been going. It was one of those great serendipitous encounters with a friendly stranger, and as a bonus I got to introduce him to the Houston Oilers Fight Song, almost certainly the greatest fight song ever recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment