Sunday, November 22, 2020

#162: Play On West 6th

The Bar


Play On West 6th. 620 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 11/22/20 @ 6:30pm.

The Drink



Playdialyte shot. Vodka, sweet & sour, lime juice, Sprite, Pedialyte. $9.

I had just consumed a shot at WYLD only a block away merely a few minutes prior, but I drink what they tell me to. As the bartender was telling me about the ingredients in the shot she mentioned that there's been a trend of including Pedialyte in cocktails to get ahead of the game on hangovers, which Pedialyte is supposed a big cure for. There is no such thing as curing an existing hangover, as we know, but it never hurts to hydrate while you're drinking, and to that end I'm sure the splash of Pedialyte in my shot didn't hurt. The shot itself was fine; she mixed it over ice, which I appreciated, and she tried to comp it when I told her I was blogging it, which I appreciated even more.

The Crew


Aaron.


Notes


Play replaced Lux at the start of the year. At first when I walked in the two seemed identical in my memory, but then I just realized how drunk I must have been, since the two aren't very similar in decor or vibe at all. Yes they both cater to more of a high-roller clientele, but whereas Lux was a reserved lounge with understated decor, Play is an "upscale sports bar". I would personally consider that phrase an oxymoron, but they were really dedicated to it - one the one hand, the staff were conflicted about me just walking in and wanted me to make a reservation so they could have me spend a lot of money on bottle service and so forth; on the other hand, they were all dressed in sexy referee uniforms, which made it hard to feel too threatened. I've already discussed how weird the breastaurant market niche is, but it has its upsides - after they'd decided I was on the level thanks to my noble vocation of freelance  alcohol blogging, they tried to comp my shot and insisted I take my standard drink consumption picture on the gilt throne you see above. So I take it all back! I am not sure what the ownership situation is but it doesn't seem like it's the same as Lux.

No comments:

Post a Comment