Monday, January 30, 2017

#18: Key Bar

The Bar


Key Bar. 617 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 1/30/17 @ 8:30pm.

The Drink



Irish Fistfight. Chilled Jameson and blueberry Red Bull. $10.

Our bartender here was also from Louisiana, but she opted for something a little less Cajun. I'm not sure what about blueberry Red Bull makes it fistfight material; score that as a swing and a miss from a naming standpoint, but a relative success as a boilermaker alternative.

The Crew


Aaron, Sonali, Karen, Vince (not pictured).


Notes


Monday is all day happy hour, so margaritas were like $3 or something. The popsicle martinis are what they're most famous for, but all of the drinks we had were solid. I'm a sucker for a good patio, and Key Bar's patio roof means that if we'd gone during the day we would have had the perfect mix of Sixth access and shade.

I know that I've been here before yet I have no memory of it. That wouldn't be particularly surprising in and of itself, hardly worth mentioning, yet I've heard it described as one of those typical West Sixth places and it absolutely was not. More and more I'm coming around to the idea that a bar is mostly its customers, in terms of its experience. Sure, the ambiance matters, as does the layout, the type of alcohol it serves, and all that, but on a night with just your friends, the bartender, and a few other patrons, any bar can be great. Maybe I just have low requirements, but now that I'm consciously paying attention to these bars and trying to sort out my feelings, I've yet to have a bad experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment