Friday, February 10, 2017

#31: Italic

The Bar


Italic. 123 W 6th St, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 2/10/17 @ 7:30pm.

UPDATE: Italic has closed.

The Drink



The '68. Averna amaro, rum, lime. $10.

Our server selected one of the special drinks off their list. Clark's Oyster Bar introduced me to amaro, the sweet and herbaceous Sicilian liqueur that forms the base of this drink, and I'm glad that it showed up again here. I didn't ask which rum that they used, but the resulting product was very well-balanced.

The Crew


Travis, Cristy, Louis, Geoff, Aaron.


Notes


Italic is another project from the same owners as 24 Diner and Easy Tiger. I knew that coming in after I went to 24 Diner, but I'd somehow forgotten until I was looking at the menu, saw Easy Tiger bread, and the lightbulb went off. They have a cool interior, with an inviting atrium, striking collage art on the walls by a local artist, and stairs that lead up to big wine racks above the dining area, in what might be a "top floor" = "top shelf" visual pun. This was out first stop of the night, so we availed ourselves of their pizza and other menu items. I liked the pizza, but it seemed a bit overpriced for the size. Granted, it was high-quality pizza, but in pizza as in warfare, "quantity has a quality all its own". Judging from the crowd around us, this was a nicer date spot, so if you want to enjoy some great service, and maybe some of the wines or vermouth they specialize in, then this would be a solid option.

No comments:

Post a Comment