Friday, February 11, 2022

#181: Soho Lounge

The Bar


Soho Lounge. 217 E 6th St, Austin, TX 78701

Visited 2/11/22 @ 8:30pm.

The Drink



Green tea. Jameson whiskey, peach schnapps, simple syrup, lime. $9.

I've had a couple of green tea drinks so far on Sixth, but they've all been shots. Since I had just spent an hour drinking 32 oz of Blue motherfucker at Wild Greg's, I was not exactly looking forward to a shot, so I was glad for this more manageable sipping drink served in a reasonable 16 oz volume. This rendition dropped the sweet & sour, but lime + simple syrup was a reasonable facsimile. Of course, now that I had the chance to drink a full green tea cocktail, it became funnier to me that this drink was just invented by Jameson to sell more whiskey, given that green tea is famous for its alleged health benefits. What if we gave you a drink with all of the taste, but none of the antioxidants? What if all you were really interested in was the scent of health, without doing the real work to partake in its full flavor? No one is upset that a Flaming Dr Pepper has no Dr Pepper in it, but shouldn't a trace of the true self exist in an actual cocktail? Heavy questions for a light, refreshing drink. 

The Crew


Aaron.


Notes


I'm not sure exactly why, but this place took me like 5 tries to be able to visit successfully. Every time I would walk past this storefront in between the venerable Lit Lounge and the newer Gnar Bar, it wasn't open for patronage. Evidently it had had an ownership change in 2017 when I was doing the original crawl, and then a city-induced covid shutdown after that, which explained why I hadn't been able to swing by before, but it seemed harder than it should to grab a drink here now in the year 2022. Well that finally changed tonight, and when I finally entered, it was... fine, the typical backlit bar with a dimly lit dancefloor, the ideal generic blurry barhopping memory you'll end up backdating from bar tabs and group texts after a long night of Fireball rounds and singalong interludes. I was actually the only patron here for essentially my entire stay, although the owner/bartender told me that that was due to complex business conditions that I didn't really understand. To be honest, this seemed like the kind of bar that should be packed at all time. But far be it from me to tell a bar how to do its job. I was just glad to finally check off an elusive bar target before I went to the Agent Orange show, which turned out to be excellent. If you haven't listened to Agent Orange, you have to fix that posthaste. Everything Turns Grey!

No comments:

Post a Comment